Thursday, October 4, 2018

THE SQUIRREL'S SONG (FROM A GARDEN IN BETHESDA!)


                                         

               

        Rain, rain, go away! come back another day.
        I need to fill my nut cache, Fall is on its way!

        Beech, Hickory, Hazel.....Hurray!
        The nuts in the garden, my buffet!

         It was all good till the month of May,
         When Grama and Gramp came on holiday.

         
         
                                                               They watched over me .......night and day
                                                               And exclaimed......on seeing my ballet!
       
          
        The bunnies, they blocked my gangway,
         Tha and Golu found my hideaway!

         Sometimes they chased me and I did play,
         Only to see my cousin in my garden cafe!

         So even when it grew cloudy and grey, 
          I gathered nuts! It's in my DNA.                                                                                                                           
          Over the fence and cross the way,
          Up the Maple Tree, where I stay.
                           
          Fast and furious, each and every day
          Before the Grams left on Saturday.

          Now up in my larder, to survey
          And fill it up before Snow holds sway.
                                             
         And then wait until Spring, with my Mae!
         To enthrall them again, with our Cabaret!



   

     




2 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful! Loved the way you have translated a simple everyday observation into something so lyrical- waiting for more!!!!

    ReplyDelete