Monday, October 15, 2018

EFFORT Vs DESTINY


Having just read 'Open', the true and inspiring story and acclaimed autobiography of Andre Agassi, I felt re-assured, in my belief, that only effort carves one’s destiny. Andre worked like no other, single minded, pursuing his father’s dream which became his own. Although,  it is true, that not all effort is rewarded so abundantly, yet I believed that no destiny can be shaped without effort.

The next book that I read, shook this core belief. Another poignant autobiography that made me rethink.



I have just completed a marathon reading session of the book, 'A Long Way Home' by Saroo Brierly. It is the story of the author's life, who lost his way as a five-year-old and found himself in Kolkata. He spent several months roaming about in the city, until a good soul took him to the police station. From here begins his extra ordinary journey to a Children’s home and finally adoption by an Australian family.

At 25, he writes about his search home, to his birth family, surprised that the name he had given himself and the place of his birth as he remembered them, were all his own. He comes across as an admirable young man, grateful, with few battle scars. His writing is calm and  gentle yet inspiring with indomitable spirit.

As I kept reading, I became aware that he was destined to a good life. If you had told me this before, I would have argued and tried to prove that Destiny had nothing to do with his good fortune. But I know, his good life is magical, being guided by some unseen loving force.  A poignant read, which I’ll remember for a long long time to come!



1 comment:

  1. subsequently , hindi movie 'LION'was made on his life story.

    ReplyDelete