Thursday, April 28, 2011

Of blogs, bloggers and blogging!



I have been mulling over several inputs for this blog of mine, which will be the last, before I get into my summer vacation mode. Let me begin with something, which happened today. I went to Apollo Hospital for a routine medical check up and my 
gynecologist greeted me with this question, WHY HAVE YOU LET YOURSELF GO..? No one could have read my mind better! Yes, I have become lazy, my life style lackluster and my thoughts, listless. 
Why did I do it and how did I do it are simple questions, the difficult question is how could I allow myself to do it? I had drawn up an honest resolution on New Year, 2011, and hoped by bringing about some qualitative changes in my lifestyle, I could enjoy a healthy and happy 2011.  I am 53 and whatever the reasons, I can’t let my life pass me by.

I realize I am fortunate, I am looking forward to a second innings-I am going back to what I love doing, teaching. I am proud of the fact that both my daughters are graduating this year, in subjects of their choice. I am happy that my husband has at last accepted his superannuation from service and is settling down to a satisfying retired regime. I am hoping there will be other personal joys too!  What got me into this doldrums, I cannot say, but I must find a way out-that I know. Let me review my New Year blog and see whether I have kept up with all of my resolutions! 

Even before I started blogging regularly, I have been following various blogs on travel, art and craft, especially cooking, knitting, sewing and crocheting. I am amazed by the diligence of these enthusiasts to record their hobbies, make their blogs appealing with colorful photographs and post step-by-step procedures where required. I have enjoyed travel blogs, with photographs, directions and descriptions –I have found them to be very helpful. I have come to admire the bloggers, who make an effort to update their blogs, who take out precious time to fulfill a creative need. Most of the bloggers, I do not know, but like characters in a story, I just imagine how they would be, and build up their persona based on their blogs.

Two of the bloggers, I know personally. And I am surprised to find out how much of them I did not know; how the blogs opened up facets of their personalities I wish I had known! So blogging has been a meaningful exercise for me, a creative release for all those dormant thoughts and feelings. Like any craft or skill, I work upon it. The first few were factual, accompanied by photographs. Then I tired to write from my heart, next I tried to make it interesting, by working on the language and presentation. I tried to bring in an element of mystery or curiosity to capture my reader’s imagination. I have got very little feed back on this aspect of my blog; however, I write to express myself and as long as blogging fulfils that innate desire, I think it is going to be a fulfilling one for me!

So what does my first term report say? Let me check out my blog. I had resolved to work on simple everyday aspects, the first one of them being to get my health in order. I am sad to say that I have neglected my health. With great hopes of jogging along Connecticut Avenue during my holiday, I drew up a plan to shed some weight. I lost 2 kgs in a month after doing yoga, only to gain them back with an additional 2 kgs, in the last two months. I did go for a master health check up and that was about all. Now, I need to do my yoga daily and go for walks religiously. My gynecologist used inspiring words, she seemed to hint that I could be the person I wanted to be, if only I’d take care of my health!  In these times of stress and strain, we must look inwards for motivation and I think, to look good and feel good is going to be topmost on my mind.

The next bit was about bringing music into my Life! yes, I listen to lots of music on the net and on TV. Unfortunately, as I raided the large collection of cassettes and CDs, I was shocked to find it filled with favorite numbers of my husband and daughters! I had only myself to blame, I had never got anything of my choice! I think I will become a little more determined and pick up songs of my choice, the next time I go shopping!

The only resolution in which I have succeeded  is the one which says, Make my home a priority and Put friends and family first more often. Yes, the focus has shifted to my home and family and friends. With little changes, I have transformed my home into a warm and cozy haven. As regards friends and family, I have met them more often, gone out with them, bonded regularly and on that score, I am a very happy person.

Then comes the next two, Bring in novelty and Document real life more often. If that should translate into blog and blogging, yes, I have brought in novelty and documented real life. But honestly, I think I have kept it up in letter only, not in the spirit, it was meant to be.

So my first term report card says-FAIL, which is unacceptable to me, as an individual. As a teacher, report cards have meant a lot to me and when I used to prepare them, I would always make a note of the strengths in a child and areas where he/she could work harder.Two recent mails from my students have both, heartened me and humbled me. 

One wrote, Recently, I made it to the papers for my contribution to YOCee. Do you remember how you had encouraged me to sign up for the programme back in my 8th std? I just want to thank you ma'am, for pushing me then to pursue writing, when I didn't know nor understand the meaning of it. Thank you ma'am, for discovering the potential in me to write

Another had this to say: the GR8 NEWS IS I VE JOINED ANNA UNIVERSITY FOR MY BACHELORS DEGREE in INDUSTRIAL ENGNEERIN!!! n all this was possible oly cos of the xtraordinary amt of confidence u instilled in me durin my 8th GRADE!!  THANX A LOT MAM!!  

If I can be a source of inspiration to others, why not for myself? It has to be a healthy lifestyle for me, where I am able to knock off at least 20 pounds (my gynec hoped it will be 40!!) and when I look into the mirror, the person I see is the person I had always wanted to be! 

One who smiles more often and is the happiest she has ever been; one who is going to start teaching all over again, one who jogs everyday, one who has planned the outlines of two books she hopes to pen, one who can truly understand and appreciate the power of connecting with family and friends, one who can see the pride in her daughters' faces when they look at this confident, happy and unstoppable woman their mother has become! Signing off for my summer vacations and with a promise to be back in the first week of June, with news, views and reviews! Until then…adios!!!

1 comment:

  1. a very happy summer break to you with your family geeta. and your gynecologist is probably right.Shedding a few kilograms ought to be a priority for all of us, me included. That I know from experience is the hardest to do once a person crosses 50. But come, let us join hands and decide to prove our critics wrong(I have a whole bunch of critics including my brothers).

    i feel like singing we' shall overcome...... our weight problem of course.

    ReplyDelete