Monday, January 31, 2011

FREEDOM’S THE WORD!

Towards the end of December, I started pondering over my New Year resolution.
I had one every year, but broke it more often than build on it. I used to resolve – to be happy always, to be cheerful and friendly…only to realize that none of it worked, when I wanted it the most! With time, my personal battles grew….the death of my mother, loneliness, a semi-retired life, foreign shores, relocating permanently in unfamiliar surroudings, loss of familiar chores and roles, boredom, all within the year and it took its toll! One is familiar with the adage - only change is constant, but it requires that much effort to cope with constant change!

I was hurt and bitter by turns, sometimes angry and frustrated and these emotions came in the way of my resolutions! How I wished to maintain my sanity, and at the same time enjoy myself, savor life and indulge in all her variety! I could do it all if only I could make some life style changes! I decided to do it at once! It is one month into the New Year and here I post my report card on my attempts to keep up my resolution! Have I succeeded? Of course…this month and determined to do all twelve months!

So what do I want for myself? Some calm, peace of mind, happiness! To enjoy the company of family and friends! I want to be free of all negativity and free of all things causing that negativity. In other words, I want freedom! Freedom – to stop complaining about my life, Freedom to pursue my passion, to find a new job, to dress in a different way, to enjoy different dishes and flavours, the freedom to say – I am different today than I was yesterday! Isn’t that wonderful! So the resolution for the year had to be Freedom!

And here, in order of importance, my efforts to set myself free!

1.Get my health in order:

Given a choice between an intellectual activity and a physical one, I’d choose the intellectual one, obviously! (Big words which simply mean I am lazy!) But that did nothing for my physical well being. So I started learning Yoga and my guru, Bala was so persuasive, that even if I missed it one morning, he would accuse me of ‘dandi maroing’! And that got me all inspired. So I have been doing Pathanjali yoga, every morning and loving every minute of it. All the more because it has helped me start on my road to losing weight. At this point, suffice to say that I am able to get into all my blouses, even those made 5 years ago. In terms of real weight lost....I shall wait until Feb. to post it!

2. Bring music into my Life!

I am very partial to certain combinations of Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, Beat, and Tempo coupled with romantic lyrics! This combination gives me a natural high! So why don’t I do it more often..? Banish those blues by listening to my favorite songs, at least for an hour everyday! Well so melody is in and so are harmony, tranquility and romance! Whom do I thank for all this, …Bollywood of course!  And my song for the month is the soulful number sung by Mohd. Rafi from the film Humsaya, Lyrics by Shevan Rizvi, Music by O.P. Nayyar. Hear in, if you have the time!
dil kee aawaaz bhee sun...mere fasaane pe naa jaa,
meree nazron kee taraf dekh, zamaane pe naa jaa!

Listen to the voice in your heart....
Don’t just believe what you hear about me!
Look into my eyes, before you start
To be fooled by what the world says about me!

3. Put friends and family first more often.
One of the pitfalls of a routine job is putting friends and family on a back seat. The list of family events and friendly get-togethers I have given a miss is not an enviable one!  In my job as a teacher, I was engaged during the most important hours in the day and it was only fair to place my duty first. Now, I am free to re-connect with family and friends. Who is helping me in this endeavor…facebook, my blog and my phone! Also, every week, I try to visit a family or friend and that has helped me take stock and stay connected and enjoy all that is happening in their lives. I visited a sick aunt, congratulated a friend whose daughter got engaged, met up with another friend for lunch and visited family members who were here on a holiday. So the first four weeks have gone as per plan! And I am elated!

4. Bring in novelty….do something new!  
I have always been interested in crafts but never really had the time for it! So, this year, I am going to sew, embroider, and knit. Some for myself and some for my near and dear ones! I have downloaded some projects and started on others. And as for doing something new….its going to be one every month! January…it was turtle walk.
Believe me, it was one of the most exciting things I have done in my life. Do scroll down for a detailed write up and some photos from the walk.

5. Document real life more often.
Life is so full of variety, if only one looks for it. But often times, it just escapes me  and I tend to dwell more on the mundane aspects of life! Hey then, let me begin by recording these events! Why not take pictures to remember and look back!  For this, I have to thank my daughter, who encouraged me to write my own blog. I upload photos and recall those experiences! It was the very first time that I witnessed the Tamil  Sangamam, a week-long festivities of local song and dance. And where else could one see ..the Indian Ocean to my right and the sea of humanity to my left.! Here, I must mention the ‘twin trees’ in my compound, just opposite my balcony. ! Later, I will post pictures and tell you why they are special!

6. Make my home a priority.

It is high time, I came up with a plan for dealing with clutter, trash and work ‘pile ups’! I need to put in place a workable and easy solution in the home- Well, a place for everything and everything in its place! Work on that front is in progress but it is a slow and steady one!

Through all this, I shall remember to be happy.  I’m going to work harder this year to really appreciate the kind things people tell me and understand the negative things I hear. Both are valuable feedback and I shouldn’t let the ones that hurt me drown out the ones that give me joy! I still have to fight my inner-loner self on a regular basis. I’m a  naturally happy and talkative person and I can carry a conversation, when I’m already in a situation. But convincing me to step out of my cocoon and meet new people, is tough. But I’m going to do my best to get out there more, preferably every evening  and meet real people, apart from those I meet on facebook!!

And now for the adventure of the month!

We signed up for ‘Turtle Walk’ a project undertaken by volunteers to conserve the Olive Ridley Turtles. Nature enthusiasts, like myself, assembled at Neelangarai beach at around 11 p.m. for a seven Km. walk terminating at Elliot'sbeach.




 First,  we were briefed by Arun, one of the main volunteers of The Students Sea  Turtle Conservation Network [SSTCN]. 



A first batch of volunteers started off at 12 and we took off after 12.30. The rushing waves and the cool breeze was enough motivation to walk along the sea ahore. Within a km. the volunteers had spotted the path taken by the female turtle and identified her  nest. The eggs were warm and had just been laid.  They were round and white, like large marbles, soft and silky to touch. There were 126 eggs in all.








They were collected carefully to be taken to the hatchery at Besant Nagar Beach. A group of school children and ther teachers added to the excitement. So midway, the group rested for half an hour, as walking on sand was really a painful affair, especially, for first timers like me. We decided to call off our walk at Thiruvanmiyur beach. Thankfully, we got an auto back home at 2.30 pm. The rest of the group, comprising of about 30 enthusiasts including 5 foreigners and 5 volunteers completed the walk till Besant Nagar Beach. Will I do it again…I will think about it..for we spent saturday and sunday resting our tired feet!




No comments:

Post a Comment